Y'all, my MTC experience has been thorough! I feel like I'm getting a little bit more training than I would have otherwise by doing things online. Yes, we have gospel discussions and learn teaching skills, but I've got some.... additional training ;)
For example, what sister gets to learn how to ride a bike in a skirt at the MTC? This sister! Yes, ladies and gents, it can be done! You just gotta clip up your skirt with a clothespin and mount with confidence (thanks for the tip Cera, you've saved me again)
Also, what missionary gets to go on splits in the MTC? This missionary! I was sitting happily at my desk on Wednesday doin' my online class thing, when suddenly the Zoom session drops. After multiple attempts, I can't get back in! *panic* Turns out the construction on the street outside our house cut the internet accidentally and it wouldn't be coming on for a good long while. Not being able to connect to the online makes the online MTC difficult... Thankfully, my grandma and grandpa were kind enough to adopt me for the day and I set up shop at their house! So meet my splits companion, sister grandmama! (Does that also count as a dinner appointment and meeting with a bishop? More points for missionary bingo!)
You read the subject line correctly; my companions and I had a lesson drop! (and yes, I'm officially adopted into the trio!) In the MTC missionaries are given the opportunity to do practice lessons with actors so we can understand what a real-life teaching scenario is like. This really helps us become better at listening and adapting. After a great first lesson with one gal, we made a follow-up appointment and were super excited. We got on the Zoom call and waited: 6:58....6:59....7:00!...nothing...7:02....7:05..*hmm that's odd*..7:10... We nervously joked about the MTC purposefully dropping a lesson to teach us about plans falling through. (side note: they don’t do that!) We eventually contacted the teaching center, and after a rapid exchange of emails, it was discovered that there was an error in communication. We were eventually able to reschedule, but it sure scared us for a moment! (In case your wondering, the rescheduled appointment also almost fell through but we sorted things out. We’ll teach one day!... I think)
I also had a zone conference (meeting for in-field missionaries)! "Wait!" you may say. "How can you have a zone conference in the MTC?" Let me tell you! The Arcadia Mission reached out to me and all the other newcomers (66 in total!) and invited us to join a mission wide conference! IT WAS THE BEST! Seriously, there are some wonderful people out there. My mission president's father spoke (92yrs old!) about his adventures in South America and "adventures of the spirit." (side note: he called sister missionaries "lady missionaries" and that is probably my favorite thing since playdough ice cream). It was amazing to hear all the experiences he had had and witnessed about people receiving very clear direction from the Spirit. If you ever need any direction for anything, pray for the Spirit! Try πitπ! God is your Father and He wants to advise you.
I also need to explain traversing the jungle... the real story is not nearly as exciting as it sounds ;). With all the construction outside our street we weren't able to park in our garage, and our neighbors graciously let us park in their backyard (shout out to the Osbornes!) Unfortunately, we couldn't walk on the sidewalk with some of the construction to get back home. What to do? My mum and I decided to climb a fence into our cow pasture and walk through the rough terrain. We barely survived! jk it was really chill, though to all the kids at home, I do not recommend climbing around in your business attire (good thing I wore slacks!)
I also got a surprise MTC package from one of my most favorite amigas, the lovely sister Cassey! (I seriously aspire to be her when I grow up!) I’m so happy I caught her and foiled her attempt to make a surprise drop-off because chatting with her was the best. What a doll.
Finally, I thought it would be awesome if I could close each email with a part of the missionary lessons. If you want to learn more about what I believe in, or just find out what missionaries do, or just grow closer to God, this is for you!
God is your loving Heavenly Father. He sent you here to have good and bad experiences so you would grow and become more like Him. Even though you’re apart, He still wants to communicate with you and give you peace and advice. You can share with Him your gratitude, concerns, fears, and desires in prayer. I invite you to ask Him if He is your Father and if He cares about you by praying. Be patient with your answer. God is not a vending machine who will give you an answer back right away. He is a person, and you need to build a relationship of trust. Be genuine and observant as you look for answers to your prayers, and remember that feeling His Spirit does not need to be a grand event. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith...Meekness, temperance:”-Galatians 5:22-23. Look for those feelings as an answer to your prayer. If you have questions about praying or it’s been a while since you’ve gone back to the basics, I highly recommend you check this out (and watch the short video if you want to have your day made)
Much love family and friends! You’re truly wonderful people!
Hurrah for Israel!
-Sister Schramm
Fotos (in no particular order):
-missionary monkey climbing the fence
-Grandma & Grandpa
-KATE!
-My mother’s day call home (dad kept saying: “you’re such fakers!” Well, of course, we are faking father!)
-My mother’s day call home (dad kept saying: “you’re such fakers!” Well, of course, we are faking father!)
-Cassey!
-Cassey’s adorable package
-Zone conference!
-Riding a bike!










No comments:
Post a Comment