Monday, June 29, 2020

Episode 8: Doctors and Hobos and Police, Oh My!

 

Hola mis amigos y mi familia! 
This week can best be described as....off?? We just had several odd moments (lots of good stuff as well, though!) Here's the craziness of our week at a glance:

Tuesday: We had to say goodbye to president and sister Wells 😞 we had a special mission-wide Zone Conference where they gave their final instruction to us as missionaries. It was sad, but they shared some really great talks! Unfortunately, we found out that our mission's FB access has been greatly reduced. (Pretty much no FB use at all) That was a hard blow to take. We were making some decent strides, so we were pretty discouraged. I was kinda a grumpy soul and did not take it like a trooper. God is kind to me though, and that night we had a surprise phone call from one of our special needs members. We talked about Postcards From Buster and Portuguese food for two hours and had a lot of fun, and that's exactly what I needed. Kindness saves the day again!

Wednesday: I had to go see a doctor about a problem with my wrist (no worries fam, it's very minor and I've dealt with it beforeπŸ˜‰). It's definitely not a big deal, but I HATE going to the doctor by myself. I get ridiculously stressed out over it and think things like "what if I forgot my insurance card? What if they want to do surgery right then and there? What if I forgot my date of birth? Ah!" It's super ridiculous and one day when I don't have the mind of a seven year old I'll get over it. πŸ˜… Thank you sister Sintz for putting up with my stressin'.

Thursday: We were working on calling people and doing other random jazz at the church building and we hear a noise... (basically what I think a pack of angry monkeys would sound like🀷🏼‍♀️πŸ˜…) turns out it was a pack of coyotes, so we decided to go check outside to make sure no one got hurt. We left a shoe in the door so we wouldn't have to take the time to unlock it if the coyotes decided to attack πŸ˜‰. Armed with butcher knives from the kitchen, we did a perimeter check in our car and noticed a man with a *full* mask (like ninja/robber style) standing outside the front of our building... apparently he hid behind some bushes when I went to unlock the gate, but we didn't think much of it... we saw the coyotes walking down the sidewalk, but there were no small kids out so we drove around the block and came back to the building, and our scary friend was still standing outside. He was talking to another friend and they suspiciously watched our car. *oh no* we drove around the block again and he was still there still staring into the building. *panic noises* we decided to park the car across the street and watch our friend and call the elders to come stand by the gate so we could go get our things (and the shoe out of the door... that was no bueno). Thankfully,  they laughed it off and came (shout out to elders Greenhalgh and Morriss!) One of the elders went and talked to scary man (who had been staring into the building for about an hour now) and it turns out he was most likely homeless and selling "unmentionables." Fun. Needless to say we've been a little jumpy.

Friday: we went running in the morning and came back to firetrucks chilling in front of our apartment. *internal screaming* Turns out one of our neighbors might have had Covid and the fire department needed to come check??? We haven't heard anything back on that yet, but we're feeling okay, so.....? *cough*

Saturday: My little sista got baptized and I got to watch! That's an awesome blessing of qaurentine. Lovely tender mercy. 

Sunday: We had a missed call when we were done with zoom sacrament meeting and we had a voicemail that said: "This is officer Morgan from the Pasadena Police department. We need to speak. Give me a call back." *internal and external screaming* well we called them back and to make a long story short, one of our former friends went missing and one of the last things he had on him was a pass along card with our number. Sister Sintz now has her name down on police records in a missing persons case so that's awesome πŸ˜…

Overall, it's been a weird week. It's been a little spiritually exhausting, and lots of things have dropped on us. But, there have been many blessings. I've never been a fan of family history,  but since there's not a lot of other things to do, we decided to do some. It's been amazing. The stories of my ancestors have been great to read and have helped me to feel the spirit. We have access to the family history library here and most other areas don't, so having that blessing is lovely. It's exactly what I needed. I highly reccomend reading some family history if you're having a hard time. There is power in knowing the stories of your family.

We were also blessed to meet a wonderful member who is very excited about missionary work, and we strongly appreciate his enthusiasm and support. He definitely moved in at the right time. We were also instructed to do more role plays and were promised that we would be blessed according to our preparation. We practiced sharing a message after calling the wrong number, annnnnd we actually got the opportunity to talk to someone who wanted us to share a scripture after we called the wrong number!  Turns out there are blessings for obedience πŸ˜‰

I love you all and really appreciate you. You're lovely people. God knows you personally. Christ knows you personally and you had faith in His atonement before we came to Earth (Revelations 12:11.) Keep having faith in Him now just like you did then and you'll make it through. Love you!

-Sister Schramm
 





 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment